Back to reality after the short vacation. Haha ...... that was my 1 week holiday :P
Yes, back to my topic. I did 2 birthday cakes this month. The very 1st cake is for my mum's birthday. A green tea mousse that I did it before on my birthday.
Another cake this month is for my friend ( sil )'s birthday. A "Bailey's Mousse Cake" from my favourite book " 100 Desserts ".
Here's the recipe :
Cocoa sponge : Refer here
Mousse filling :
- 2 egg yolks
- 4 tbsps sugar
- 1 tbsp custard powder
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 1/2 tbsps gelatin powder
- 4 tbsps Bailey's Irish Cream
- 1 tbsp instant coffee
- 2 tbsps warm water
- 1 cup whipping cream ( beaten till stiff )
- Whisk together egg yolk, sugar, custard powder & milk in a pot. Cook over low heat until the mixture coats the spatula well. Leave it to cool. Stir from time to time.
- Add warm water to gelatin powder. Stir well. Heat over a pot simmering water & stir until gelatin dissolves. Pour into the custard from Step 1. Mix well.
- Add instant coffee & Bailey's. Stir well. Fold in whipped cream.
- Slice off the browned top of the sponge cake. Then slice the cake horizontally into two equal layers.
- Put 1 slice of sponge into a 7" round tin. Pour half of the mousse mixture over the sponge. Top with the other slice of sponge. Pour the remaining mousse on top. Refrigerate until set.
- Unmould, sprinkle cocoa powder over & serve.