This year i decided to do 4 types of mooncakes from my previous recipes . But at last i giveup Spiral Flaky Mooncake & wanted to try Traditional type. hehe :D It was my 1st attempt. Good result ....rite?
Bought some cute cartoon characters mould! Cute??? There are few characters... but i forgot to snap it ! Only left few for my girl. Others gave to my friends :D hehe
Here is the recipe :-
- 300g syrup
- 125g peanut oil
- 1/2 tbsp alkaline
- 2 tbsps flour
- 450g flour
- 1kg 300g white lotus paste
- 50g melon seeds ( roasted )
- 9 salted egg yolks ( steamed )
- Mix syrup, peanut oil, alkaline & flour together- combine well. Cover and let it rest for 4-6 hrs or overnight.
- Sift flour into a large bowl. Make a well in the center and pour in the syrup mixture. Use a rubber spatula to mix and form to a soft dough.
- Measure dough to 50g each & wrap with 150g lotus paste. Press into a floured mooncake mould. Knock & dislodge imprrinted mooncake. Place on tray & bake ina preheated oven at 160c for 10 minutes. Remove & cool. Egg wash mooncake & bake for another 15 minutes till golden.
~~ Mooncaes should not be eaten straight... kept for a few days to allow flavours to develop & the oil to seep out so skins will have a nice sheen~~
Happy Baking & 中秋节快乐