This was my 1st attempt. It turns out great.
Almond Sponge :
- 65g icing sugar ( reduced )
- 2 1/2 tbsp flour
- 75g almond powder
- 3 eggs
- 15g unsalted butter, melted & cooled
- 3 egg whites
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- 200g dark chocolate, finely chopped
- 120ml milk
- 110 whipping cream
- 50g unsalted butter, softened
Coffee syrup :
- 1 tbsp sugar ( reduced )
- 1 1/2 tbsp instant coffee
- 90ml water
Butter Cream :
- 60g caster sugar ( reduced )
- 1 egg white
- 1 tbsp instant coffee
- 100g unsalted butter, softened
- 50g almond nibs, toasted
- To prepare the sponge layer, first, preheat the oven to 200c. Line a 20x30cm baking pan with parchment paper. In a large bowl, sift icing sugar & flour, then add the almond powder. mix well. Add eggs, one at a time, & beat until pale. Add the melted butter. Mix well.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff, then gradually add in sugar & continue beating until stiff peaks are obtained.
- Add 1/3 of the beaten egg whites to the batter, mixing well, then incorporate the remainder, folding until just combined. Pour batter onto the baking pan & spread evenly. Bake for 6-8 minutes, or until golden brown & springy when touched. Loosen the edges with a knife and carefully turn out onto a wire rack covered with a sheet of parchment papre. Allow to cool.
- Place finely chopped chocolate in a heatproof bowl & set aside. Bring milk & 30ml cream to a boil. Pour the hot liquid onto to chocolate. Wait for 30 seconds, then add the butter & mix until smooth. Let cool until a spreadable consistency obtained.
- To prepare the coffee syrup, place sugar & 90ml water in a pan & stir until sugar dissolved. Bring to boil & add coffee.
- To prepare butter cream, place sugar & 3 tsp of water ina heavy skillet & make a sugar syrup, i.e. stir until sugar is completely dissolved, then boil, without stirring, until syrup reaches soft-ball stage, between 116c.
- Beat the egg white until soft peaks are obtained. Continue beating while incorporating the hot syrup. Beat until mixture is cold. Dissolve instant coffee in 1 tsp of boiling water & add to butter. Add 1/2 of the egg white mixture & beat well, the gently fold in the remainder until well combined. Mix in toasted almond nibs.
- Using a knife, divide the sponge into 3 equal sections. Each should be 10x20cm. Place each cake layer on boards respectively & brush with coffee syrup, then spread chocolate ganache on top evenly. Chill for half and hour.
- Remove & spread butter cream evenly on top of the chocolate ganache. Chill for another half and hour.
- Remove & ply up the 3 cake's layer.
- Melt the rest of the ganache over a pan of very hot water. Bring the remaining cream to the boiling point & incorporate into ganache. Allow to cool until a smooth spreadable consistency is obtained. Spread over top of the cake & chill before serve.
Happy Birthday My Dear :)