Tuesday, October 23, 2012

STEAMED RAINBOW LAYER CAKE 九层糕

Kuih again!!! Haha~ Craving for kueh this few weeks.... Heehee.... Today I made Rainbow Layer Cake "九层糕"from my recipe book "Steamed Cake & Kuih Muih" that I bought 2 years ago.

The texture & the taste are so nice. My kids love it so much :-) But the very bottom layer came out :-(

Here's the recipe :

Ingredients A
• 600ml thick coconut milk
• 600ml water
• 150g rice flour
• 350g tapioca flour
• 180g Hoe Kwe flour

Ingredients B
• 200ml thick coconut milk
• 270g caster sugar ( reduced )
• 400ml water
• 5 blades pandan leaves ( knotted )

Ingredients C
• 3 types of different food colouring

1. Mix all ingredients B & bring to boil, cook until the sugar is completely dissolve, remove from heat, strain well & set aside.

2. Combine all ingredients A, add in B mixture, mix well. Next, divide the batter into 3 portions evenly, stir in few drops of different food colouring to each portion.

3. Prepared a greased 10 inches square steaming Tim, preheat for 3 minutes. Next, pour in 1 bowl of batter ( about 250ml ), steam at medium heat for 5 minutes, then pour in another layer of colour batter, continue steam for further 5 minutes.

4. Repeat the process until the batter is used up. Lastly, steam for another 15-20minutes until the cake is cooked though. Remove from heat, leave cool before cut & serve.

What's my next work? Hmmm....

3 comments:

  1. Oh, this brings back memories of a kueh call "kau teng kueh" which has 9 layers. I counted and yours has 9 layers so this must be the same kueh I ate as a kid. If only I had the patience to steam layer by layer :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes....Phong Hong, I did 9 layers, only the 1st slice with 9... Haha.. so sad, the bottom layer came out! Ya, I remembered I bought it every Friday when I'm a young girl in pasar malam: -)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your 9 layer kuih lapis. Like Phong Hong said, it brings back memories from my younger days. Unfortunately I am not good in making nyonya kuih.

    ReplyDelete